Tuesday, April 16, 2013

I Love People

I just happened to be sitting in front of the TV yesterday when they first started showing the footage of the Boston Marathon explosions.  Normally I'm not in front of the TV, especially not in the afternoon, but I just happened to be.

And my first thought was: "I hate people."

Because seriously... wtf? What's the point? Why do so many people feel the need to hurt other people, complete strangers? Children?

But by the end of the day, that sentiment had turned around to "I love people."

Why?

Because by the end of the day, I'd remembered that while less than some of people might really really suck, even if they do cause damage that goes far beyond their tiny percentage, the majority of people are really awesome. I'm talking about the people who immediately ran to help. The marathoners who changed direction to go donate blood. The outpouring of love and support that hit Facebook, twitter, blogs... the people who backed up their words by going and donating blood, money or time.

It's the kind of thing that reminds me that the majority of the human race is like me. They don't want to see that kind of awfulness.  And when it happens, we band together and we do what we can to share and ease the burden. We want to help, not hurt.

I think that's beautiful.

I just wish it didn't have to come out of such ugliness.

Anyway. Gonna end with one of my favorite West Wing quotes that I remembered yesterday when I was looking at all the news clips about people running in to help after the explosions:



"More than any time in recent history, America's destiny is not of our own choosing. We did seek nor did we provoke an assault on our freedom and our way of life. We did not expect nor did we invite a confrontation with evil. Yet the true measure of a people's strength is how they rise to master that moment when it does arrive.

44 people were killed a couple of hours ago at Kennison State University.  Three swimmers from the men's team were killed and two others are in critical condition when after having heard the explosion from their practice facility they ran into the fire to help get people out.

Ran into the fire.

The streets of Heaven are too crowded with angels tonight. They're our students and our teachers and our parents and our friends. The streets of Heaven are too crowded with angels. But every time we think we've measured our capacity to meet a challenge, we look up and we're reminded that that capacity may well be limitless. This is a time for American heroes. We will do what is hard; we will achieve what is great. This is a time for American heroes, and we reach for the stars. God bless their memory, God bless you, and God bless the United States of America."

2 comments :

  1. I liked this article about the positivity that came out of the Marathon tragedy:

    http://www.slate.com/blogs/future_tense/2013/04/16/boston_marathon_bombing_in_google_drive_doc_locals_offer_warm_beds_fuzzy.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw thank you for sharing! That gave me a much needed pick-me-up =)

      Delete