Thursday, March 31, 2022

TBT - The Mistress Gets the Man

 #TBT to Benedict's Commands!



When I wrote Benedict's Commands, it was because I had read SO many historical romances where the hero has been sleeping with his mistress for long enough that she's started to expect that they're going to eventually get married... and somehow that's treated as completely unreasonable on her part, as if it's just WILD that she would even THINK that the man that's been fucking her for the past year, spending his free time with her, and showering her with gifts would even CONSIDER marrying her... and then he goes on to marry the virgin he just met who turns out to be the best sex he ever had.

It's my least favorite trope, even though I do end up hating those characters because they're always written as being bad people as well, and I got mad and wrote Benedict's Commands with a widow who has been his lover for months getting a HEA with him. Not only that, but she'd had other lovers in between him and her husband.

*gasp*

Yeah, I like to do the things you're not supposed to do 🤷‍♀️

And you know what, I freaking love this book. I wish more people would read it. I can literally see in my sales that a third of the people who read this series skip over Benedict and Christina and jump straight to Arabella and Thomas. I don't know if it's because they just HAVE to know what happened to Arabella or if it's because some people just aren't interested in having a mistress become the wife, but it's a pattern that I can't ignore because it's like that every month.

Also, Benedict does something particularly naughty with her hairbrush.

Maybe next time I write this storyline I'll go even farther and there'll be a scheming virgin, planning on stealing the hero away from the mistress.... lol

No comments :

Post a Comment